Monday, March 17, 2008

He Is Always Watching


What an amazing responsibility and privilege I have as Tyler's mommy. It occurred to me the other day that I am Tyler's model for EVERYTHING! He's not just watching me for the important things, or the little things, but he's always watching every single thing I am doing. And the scary thing is that he will start doing and saying what he sees.

This awareness is so convicting to me. I think about everything I do in a new way. Isn't it neat how God uses our little ones to teach us such big things?

I now make it a habit to turn off the light when I leave a room. I used to leave it on because it seems more welcoming to walk back into a room that is all lit up. But Tyler is watching my habits, and it is important that he turn off lights when he leaves a room (when he's old enough to do that). It is better for our environment, and it saves money. I'm not helping Tyler, he's helping me!

He also watches my manners when I am eating. I happened to be married to a man who does things s-l-o-w-l-y. This includes coming to the table when it's time to eat. I am always hungry and excited to eat, but Todd seems to take his time and do lots of other things before making it to the table. I don't want my food to get cold while I'm waiting for him, so I have gotten in the habit of starting to eat without him. Of course, this isn't polite. I'm supposed to wait until everyone is seated before I eat. Tyler is watching! So now, I will have to start making an effort to wait more patiently.

Most importantly, I am Tyler's spiritual role model too. He will learn how to pray by hearing me pray. This is especially intimidating to me, because I have never felt as though I speak eloquently when I pray. I know that my choice of words is not important to God. He listens to my heart. It is my hope that Tyler will be able to hear my heart as well. I will need to make sure that Tyler hears prayers of thanks and praise more often then he hears selfish requests. God has used my little boy to convict me in my prayers. God tells us to confess our sins and ask forgiveness. This is something Tyler needs to hear his mommy do so that he knows it is important. Wow, it's hard to confess sins to God, but it's even more difficult to allow other people to hear them.

Thank you God for using your precious gift to remind me of what I am supposed to be doing - the big things, and the little things too.

3 comments:

Connie said...

Yes, Tyler is always watching and listening. I know that he sees a mommy that has a sweet, gentle spirit. One that smiles and giggles a lot, hugs a lot and loves a lot. He will see (as I always do) a mommy that honors her parents in every way and always has kind words. One that is willing to offer help if needed.

It is a scary and awesome responsibility to be a parent and Tyler is so blessed to have a wonderful example to follow.

Laura said...

I know how you feel about having a husband who does everything s-l-o-w-l-y! Brian is like that too! It takes a lot of patience indeed. ;)

Karolyn said...

Oh Michelle,
The fact that you are so determined to be a godly, loving, fun mom makes Tyler one lucky little boy! I couldn't have chosen a better mom for my grandson. I know you enjoy him. I do miss those preschool years.
Karolyn